See on Scoop.itEVF NEWS FEED

An elderly man died three days after an agency nurse left him lying on the floor with a broken leg, a tribunal has heard. 

Sarah Msika failed to spot the pensioner was injured when she visited his home near Norwich, Norfolk, it was claimed today at the Nursing and Midwifery Council. 

Msika allegedly left the patient’s incontinent wife lying in her own faeces in the kitchen propped up against a table leg. 

Healthcare assistants found the couple lying ‘in the same positions’ on the floor later that day and rushed them to hospital.

The elderly man died three days later while his wife passed away six months after the incident.

When Msika visited the couple on August 3, 2011, and did express concerns about the absence of food and the smell of urine in the house.

David Clark, for the NMC, said: ‘On that visit both Patient A and her husband, Patient B, were siting in chairs and behaving normally.

‘Msika visited the couple again on the following day, and was met with a very different scene.

‘She found both Patient A and Patient B on the floor in different rooms. Patient A was in the kitchen, sitting partly propped up either against a table leg. 

‘Her husband Patient B was in the living room and he too was on the floor. 

‘He said that he was alright and he would get up in his own time. 

‘She (Msika) did not carry out an investigation, she didn’t check for injury, she didn’t ask him if he was injured in any way.’


It later emerged that the elderly man had fractured his leg, the hearing was told.

‘The registrant then went into the kitchen and dealt with Patient A,’ said Mr Clark.

‘She made some attempts to clean the patient and she went and got some clean clothes for her.

‘It is our case that those attempts were inadequate and what she did was effectively leave the 79-year-old woman, half-sitting, half-lying on the kitchen floor in her own faeces’, Mr Clark said.

Later that day, healthcare assistants visited the couple, finding them in the same positions on the floor, the tribunal heard.

‘Very sadly, the male patient – the husband – suffered a pulmonary embolism and died shortly after the event on August 6’, Mr Clark said.

Patient A died in January 2012, the panel heard.

A ‘relatively brief’ police investigation was mounted, but no criminal charges were brought against Msika, the hearing was told.

Msika, who is attending with her mother, admits leaving the couple on the floor, failing to call for assistance, failing to recognise Patient B had a broken leg and failing to escalate the situation.

She denies leaving Patient A sitting in her own faeces, failing to adequately documenting the incident and not communicating to her colleagues that the couple remained on the floor.

If she is found guilty of misconduct, she could be suspended or struck off.

The hearing continues.

See on