See on Scoop.itEVF NEWS FEED

Man locked up for life for attack on defenceless woman with arsenal of deadly weapons in rucksack

A man who attacked a defenceless woman using a samurai sword- while carrying a “backpack of terror” full of other deadly weapons – will spend the rest of his life in a secure mental unit.

Ahla Timofei, 26, was found guilty of attempted murder and affray after the terrifying attack on the streets of north ‪#‎London‬ on Christmas Eve 2012.

Timofei did not attend court today after being deemed unfit, but a judge handed down a hospital order meaning he will spend the rest of his life in secure care.

The court had heard how police were called to reports of a woman being attacked in ‪#‎Holloway‬ Road around at 12.40am on December 24 last year.

Witnesses had heard the victim’s piercing screams after Timofei set upon the 22-year-old Italian with his sword as she walked down the street.

‪#‎Met‬ Police

After leaving his victim with wounds to the face, legs and arms – including a severed thumb – Timofei ran off, but a passerby relayed his movements to police while his partner gave first aid to the seriously injured victim.

It was at this point that hero officer Sergeant Steve Brown confronted Timofei, who was still brandishing his sword, and asked him to put the weapon down.

Timofei tried several times to injure Sgt Brown, but the courageous cop placed himself inside the arc of the samurai sword, before forcing Timofei to the ground and arresting him.

When officers opened up the defendant’s rucksack, they found several samurai type swords as well a numerous hunting knives, a crossbow and gas masks.

Sentencing Timofei at ‪#‎Woolwich‬ Crown Court, Judge Topolski praised the actions of the passersby who came to the victim’s aid, and singled out Sgt Brown for his bravery.

Detective Constable Jose Lagares, of ‪#‎Islington‬ Police, described Timofei’s actions as a “vicious unprovoked stranger attack on a defenceless young woman” who was simply returning home from work and looking forward to Christmas.

He said: “If it had not been for the bravery and quick thinking of the members of public she could have been killed and Timofei evade arrest.

“The victim had to return back to Italy and continue seeking medical assistance for her injuries.

“She has since returned to the ‪#‎UK‬ to resume her studies and was present at ‪#‎court‬ to hear the jury deliver the guilty charge.”

He added: “Thankfully, this type of incident is rare in London but the public should be reassured that police officers are willing to put themselves in danger to protect the public.”